Saturday 16 October 2010

Pictures, People, Places - Entry 11c - El Queztal - Mindo Chocolate Makers


The love of chocolate and the love of taking an opportunity place us in the very capable hands of Jose and his team in Mindo's very own little chocolate factory. An open minded, forward thinking and successful man who originally hails from Ecuador but spent most of his life in Michigan. 

We sneaked in through the chocolate door by me being able to teach English and him happy to have Chan along for the ride aswell. When I was not teaching and Chan was not needed on reception we could basically help out in anyway that we wanted as long as we were free to give a tour a 4 o'clock everyday. 

We hoped that everyone who did the tour got the following out of it;

A history of chocolate

A history of the factory itself

A tour of the factory and an explanation about all the techniques and processes required to turn the cocao bean into a chocolate bar. 

Tasted 100% cocoa and experienced the way the flavour changes with sugar and if they were daring enough chilli

Gorged on the incredible brownie and had a cup of foamy rich hot chocolate

and finally had an interesting and joyous time

We had to study the history and in doing so ended up going to chocolate school! Who would not be excited about that. I thought I had learnt a lot about chocolate (and I had) after I went on the tour the first time before we became volunteers. But as is always the case when you scratch the surface of a subject rich in science, history and taste you realise just how little you know. Among a thousand other things I learnt that chocolate has been a part of human existence for over 3000 years, it originated in the amazon basin in South America, its Latin name is theo (god) broma (food) cocoa, the finest type of cocoa is the Criollo bean and its taste is as mesmerising as it is addictive. 

I also learnt about the entire production process and by the end of the 3 weeks I could proudly ferment, dry, roast, winnow, grind, conch, create different percentage bars and (the holy grail) temper the chocolate.










































Jose also know as el oso (the bear) is a calm, creative and knowledgeable man who was a great teacher and entrusted us quickly to do things on our own. The more I gave chocolate in terms of time and love the more it gave me the secrets of its silky chocolate depths. I have just ran out of the last bar that I made myself (85%) and took with me and I miss its mouth tingling sensations already.
I am certain that chocolate will become an ever greater presence in my life and it will not be too long until I will be eating that single origin Criollo cocoa again. 

Mindo gave us so much and we were lucky to share Mindo part two with Jamie and Bay.













I would personally like to thank Jose and his team for what was an incredible experience that might just have changed my life.



I would also encourage anyone in Ecuador or Michigan to not miss an opportunity to try their amazing chocolate.


For more info


http://www.elquetzaldemindo.com/chocolate/

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great blog! and excellent photos, I would love to use some of your photos for our presentations here in the U.S. Thanks for the great posting about El Quetzal and your experience volunteering there.

    Barbara
    Esposa del oso

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you can Barbara. As for the thanks it really was a pleasure to meet and work for Jose and be a part of Mindo chocolate.

    ReplyDelete