Saturday 16 October 2010

FLASHBACK - AKINABALU






How many times have you read an advert that promised much but you knew the reality could never live up to the claims. The old premise of if it sounds like it is too good to be true then it probably is. These were my first thoughts about a hand written poster in a hostel claiming to need English speaking men for the role in a studio production. It was either going to be completely rubbish or something else entirely. 


I did think it would be great though to act on set with lights, cameras and action. I always loved drama at school and often feel that life is a little bit of a stage at times especially when you are having to be someone that is not necessarily you true self. Surely you have all felt this whether at work, when meeting the girlfriends parents for the first time or at an interview. Would it not be great to be someone else for a week or so and not just because it is fun but you might also collect some cash and some respect along the way. Though like I said before surely this was not that moment I had be waiting for, so I just made a little comment like "that would be cool". Also the time frames did not add up either and there was no way it was genuine. In the world of KL which is crammed with new stimulation of the senses I had soon forgotten about that long forgotten acting dream . 


That was until I met someone else who was already in and said that it was ligament. He said he would speak to this guy called Geoff for me. He did and I waited for a couple of days and finally this character turned up with his lovely wife Nabyla. He was Belgian, had a cool accent and was both laid back and excited about the documentary/drama called Akinabalu. 


It was set in about 1943 deep into the second world war when Churchill had surrendered all troops not on either of the fronts or in India that was the "crown of the empire". As a result of this over 100, 000 allied forces became prisoners overnight. The programme was set in the shadow of Kinabalu which is Asia's highest peak and was about the POWs who were made to march an absurd distance without provision and then build an airbase. We were to play the POWs and recreate their suffering, their camaraderie and there attempted escape.  





Although this period of time has been covered before never have the Japanese been shown to have any compassion or regret about the appalling treatment of the prisoners. Most of the guards were oppressive and violent but one is represented as feeling bad and tries to help us. 


Due to my British accent I was to play Burgess who was the best friend of one of the principle actors. I had been caught steeling rations and spent my time on set either in a cage wallowing in misery and excrement, being beaten, at my own funeral, and dying in my best friends arms. I did not walk a single step. 


We got there very early on the first day and then the waiting began. Waiting around for things to happen or the schedule to be changed were very frequent. This eventually became a phrase for frustration - "I am so MFI (Malysian Film Industry) right now". 


Everyone else was asked to go into the wardrobe and changed into their dirty POW clothes all ready to suffer some oppression and misery at the hands of the Japanese guards. Most of the other guys from hostel were extras and had to walk around, be woken up, or fill in the background. 


3 of the 4 principles had been flown from England and were professional actors. I found this both impressive and intimidating. They were all dressed as POW's already and looked suitably unapproachable. But once I had met Sam, Alid, and Joe it did not take long to be won over by their natural charisma and the laughter and the banter that became typical of our time on set started. 


Still I could hardly claim to be one of them as they had never seen me act and they were all professionals. Tim the other principle brought entertainment with his knowledge of Malay culture as he lived there and his dry wit. 


Sam or Smithy informed that my first scene was my own death (in the movie) and he was to carry me fireman's lift style from outside onto a simple wooden bunk where we would share my last moments on what had turned out to be a tragic ending in a cruel world. I was jealous of the others for both getting to go first and having very little responsibility. I am the kind of person who likes to go first, get it done as best I can and then forget about it. So the reality of going last effectively and having to step right up to the professional lime light first scene was both daunting and exciting. 


It turns out I am a method actor and focused on the pain in my knee and moments of tragedy in my own life to try and deliver a convincing death. All of this was running through my mind as I stood in the deep dark of the Malaysian jungle outside an ill lit barracks looking at the profession actor in front of me listening to the incredibly professional and talented director Kabir on the walky talky. The moment had come, the hour was upon me, it was time to die. 


What is mental about acting on film is that even if you get it perfect then you normally have to do it again for a different camera angle. Actually it is normally like 3 or 4 times. Sam was awesome and I don't think I cold have done much better with so little preparation or experience. The feedback I got from the principals, the crew and the director were amazing. I even got a round of applause. I felt like I had just scored the winning goal in the cup final. 


Despite the eternally frustrating MFI with its delays and ever changing schedule it was definitely a huge highlight of the trip if not my life. Working with Sam, Joe, Alid and some of the boys from the hostel like Richie, Liam, Simon, Matt and Ian was just great fun. I actually had to spend over an hour in makeup everyday on set with the MFI make up team which consisted of 2 transsexuals. They were great and I had never looked so pretty. Your last scene of the production is called the golden wrap and I felt both great and a little sad as I did not want it to end. 


I have still not seen any footage yet but Kabir has promised me a highlight reel so watch this space. 










































No comments:

Post a Comment